Puzzlement

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:39:19 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
You guys! Sheesh.... so much trouble to open the piano. Read the instructions. For heaven's sake, just do what I did.... Fiddle with it for about 15 minutes, turn to the owner and say: "You know how to open this thing?" Why it makes you look so brilliant, so professional, so smart!

Actually, I felt pretty stupid but, luckily, the owner didn't know either so she didn't show me up. And I did figure it out eventually. My Wurly was a little different than Terry's....his is real purty.

By the way, I thought almost all piano manufacturing ceased during WWII, in favor of war material production, but I guess Wurlitzer was chugging along.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech
Sent: 08/28/2005 10:36:23 AM
Subject: Re: Puzzlement

Hey Joe. Did it look a bit like the beauty pictured below? To open the sides, there are two screws below the keybed on both sides where the curved side piece meets the kneeboard (one a few inches below the keybed and the other maybe six inches above the floor). There might be a screw on the top part also that is accessible after the tops are opened - I don't remember as its been a few years. I had this one refinished for a lady - kinda nice because I didn't have to take the piano to the refinisher - just removed all the case pieces, threw them in the trunk of my car and dropped them off for refinishing! Definitely a way-cool cabinet.

Terry Farrell

> Bingo!
> Boy that was quick. I did not look or record the s# but would guesstimate
> about that era.
> Took a while to find out how to open the thing to tune it. The two outer
> lids were held in place with very strong spring clips. And not having been
> moved for over 10 years, very hard to open.
> Anyone remember how to open the side panels? It looked like the cheek blocks
> needed to be removed to take off the innerlocking music rack. and sliding
> key cover ala organ, then the sides would open. Quite the puzzle.
> Very neat workmanship in putting the cabinet together.
> Joe Goss RPT
> Mother Goose Tools
> imatunr@srvinet.com
> www.mothergoosetools.com
>
>> I tuned a 1942 (during the war, no less) Wurlitzer exactly like that.
>>
>> Alan Barnard
>> Salem, Missouri

>> > What piano maker  made an upright that has three separate top lids.
>> > This model also has swind open sides.
>> > Joe Goss RPT
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...