help with reinstalling pickup fingers on Baldwin acrosnic

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:39:36 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: nancy downs=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 8:59 PM
  Subject: help with reinstalling pickup fingers on Baldwin acrosnic

  Help!  Newbie who is about to go crazy.  Some of you told me to "dive =
in" and get working on Baldwin Acrosonic with some fire damage so I =
have.........Things were going pretty well and I was feeling pretty =
confident there for a while.  Took the action out and worked on shaping =
the hammers and doing some adjustments but when I went to put it back =
in, the pickup fingers would not go over the capstan screws.  I have =
tried numerous times to reattach them and keep it intact while trying to =
adjust the rail so that the fingers end up where they belong.  My last =
attempt resulted in all of the fingers detaching from the rail so I am =
back at square one which is where I was about three days ago.  I have =
held the keys down at their front and tried to move and shift the rail =
as it suggests in the Baldwin reinstallation guide.  Have I missed a =
step somewhere?  Could it be possible is wrong or not placed properly =
that would prohibit pr! oper placement of the rail and the fingers? I'm =
wondering if I have down something wrong with the pedals - Actually I =
know that I'm not doing something right, because I can't figure out =
where the shorter of the two dowels attach.    Anyone have any ideas =
what I can do to get this thing working again before I make firewood out =
of it?

  Thanks much,  nancy
     =20
  Nancy,
      Step #1 throw out the directions--=20
      Semantics here but the rail detached from the fingers.
      First (After losing the directions) get the guide rail back in =
place--lot's of fun I know but get it back on.
  I secure the rail in three places by attaching a damper head over the =
metal pin on the finger essentially clamping the rail and the fingers =
together. You may have to drill out the damper heads so they will fit =
over the pins more easily. Some techs use alternative methods but this =
works for me.
      You can take the keys out of the piano--( 35 years of schmutz need =
to be vacuumed out anyway )and put them back in after the action is back =
in place,
      If you want to try putting the action in with the keys in the =
piano try this:
      Place the action on the support bolts and secure it to the back.
      Use the fall strip (The piece of the case with the felt strip that =
goes over the keys ) and use it to push the keys down at the back-  Push =
down  between the buttons and the capstans with one hand while you lift =
the guide rail and essentially the fingers up and over the capstans -set =
the fall strip aside and start the screws that go through the four metal =
brackets into the guide rail. Remove the three damper blocks only after =
the guide rail is secure.
      Also forget about the dowels for now. Put them aside .Once the =
action is in place it will be obvious which one goes where.
      You can do this--Best wishes,
      Tom Driscoll RPWhatever