help with reinstalling pickup fingers on Baldwin acrosnic

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:10:15 -0500

Nancy,

Several folks have given you lots of good procedural advice, including a couple of tricks I'd never used before.  I'll just offer one more reason to remove the keys before either removing or reinstalling the action:  You must tilt the action away from the strings far enough that the dampers clear the action studs, and often the stickers run into the key ends before you can get safe clearance for the dampers.  Take out the keys to make sure you can remove/reinstall without tearing off dampers.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: nancy downs
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 8/28/2005 10:59:10 PM
Subject: help with reinstalling pickup fingers on Baldwin acrosnic

Help!  Newbie who is about to go crazy.  Some of you told me to "dive in" and get working on Baldwin Acrosonic with some fire damage so I have.........Things were going pretty well and I was feeling pretty confident there for a while.  Took the action out and worked on shaping the hammers and doing some adjustments but when I went to put it back in, the pickup fingers would not go over the capstan screws.  I have tried numerous times to reattach them and keep it intact while trying to adjust the rail so that the fingers end up where they belong.  My last attempt resulted in all of the fingers detaching from the rail so I am back at square one which is where I was about three days ago.  I have held the keys down at their front and tried to move and shift the rail as it suggests in the Baldwin reinstallation guide.  Have I missed a step somewhere?  Could it be possible is wrong or not placed properly that would prohibit pr! oper placement of the rail and the fingers? I'm wondering if I have down something wrong with the pedals - Actually I know that I'm not doing something right, because I can't figure out where the shorter of the two dowels attach.    Anyone have any ideas what I can do to get this thing working again before I make firewood out of it?

Thanks much,  nancy