A good tuning fork?

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:13:35 -0400

Dave,

I use the John Walker nickel plated fork - Schaff # 2106, page 32. I think
Pianotek has the same one. It's $34, but it is loud and pure with a long
sustain. Well worth the extra money.

It still needed calibration when I got it. I downloaded Tunelab to my
desktop, and calibrated the PC's oscillator to the National atomic clock in
Denver. Tunelab has the instructions. Then I calibrated the fork to Tunelab.
I calibrated the fork at a temperature somewhat above room temperature, by
warming it with my hand. I wanted it above room temperature, because in the
summer, if by bag has been in a hot car, the fork will still be at a
reasonable pitch. In the cold whether, it's easy to raise the temperature,
but not as easy to lower it.

Of course every fork changes with temperature, but this one changes much
less than the small blued fork I was previously using. And the tone quality
is in a different league. I don't know of any other high quality compact
forks.

Jerry Cohen, RPT

NJ Chapter

List,

I would like to get a tuning fork that's actually at 440, not flat or sharp.
Any recommendations for something that fluctuates a little less with
temperature?

Thanks,

Dave Stahl