A good tuning fork?

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:11:44 -0700

Dave,

I recommend a heavy steel fork for stability and long ring
time.  Mine was bought from Renner years ago - don't know if they
still sell it.  Made in Italy.

Any of the better steel forks are reasonably stable.  If you are
being very careful the fine few 10ths of a cent accuracy, your best
bet is to  tune it at a useable temperature, then get used to testing
the temperature each time you use it, warming it to pitch.  During
cold weather I used to hold my fork under my arm while getting the
piano ready, or carry it on the inside pocket of my coat.  Testing
the temperature on the side of your neck seems to be pretty accurate
to make sure it is at temperature.

If you have an aluminum fork, just keep it as a novelty.  If you have
a small steel fork, tune it (by filing) to a precise electronic
machine at the temperature you can duplicate in the field.

Don Mannino RPT