Keytop Botched Job?

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:44:49 -0500

PVC-E will come off with a little water and a lot of elbow grease. It doesn't want to come loose (which is why it works for keytops) but it will. It is MUCH easier to remove before it dries.

The alignment thing is interesting. Since front-to-back position of the keys is not adjustable without some major reengineering of the whole works, you have to do it with the keytops. I've not had this problem. Did you use the tops with molded fronts? Did you cut off the old fronts or otherwise trim the keysticks? You may have to use some judicious sanding or shimming under the tops.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Matthew Todd
To: Pianotech
Sent: 08/30/2005 8:52:45 PM
Subject: Keytop Botched Job?

Hey all,
I actually did my first keytop replacement.  Not on a client's piano, on my own practice piano.  I don't think I did too bad of a job except for a few things.
First, the fronts of some of the keytops don't exactly line up.  Is there a regulatory technique to fix this?
AND, there are certain keytops that have MY fingerprints on them from the PVC-E glue!  Can I remove this with something?  They are the darned moulded tops, so I can't buff them.
Thanks guys,
Matthew

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile