Keytop Botched Job?

Greg Graham grahampianos@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:53:59 -0700 (PDT)

Matthew,

I use the Spurlock router table jig from his Journal
articles to trim off the keyfront after having removed
the tops.  The fronts are cut with the keystick
vertical, fronts down on the router table, with the
bit set to remove the same depth as the new front
thickness.

I noticed right away that any chips on the router
table will prevent the key from sitting down fully on
the table, resulting in a too-shallow cut, a too-long
key, and thus a one-piece keytop/front that sticks out
toward the player.  A tiny chip can make a very
visible difference.

I now use a compressed air blast to clear the jig and
table before inserting each key.

Without the keyframe, it is difficult to know if
something is off.  I have been wondering about a way
to mark the keys in the piano to give a precise
reference in the shop (assuming you don't remove the
keyframe from a vertical).  Perhaps a razor knife mark
across all 88 with a straightedge, just past the
keytops?  Anyone have a better way?

How to fix this AFTER the keytops are glued on?  Other
than reducing the keytop overhang with a file (which
could be ugly), I think the only thing to do is remove
the keytop, cut down the front a little more, and try
a new top for fit in the keyframe, then glue.  If you
used a different jig that cut too deep, glue on some
veneer and file it down to fit.

Most important is to avoid the problem next time, but
I don't have many more sets under my belt than you, so
I'll be watching for other, better ideas also.

Did you get done in under 10 hours? Gotta love those
first-time projects. :)

Greg Graham
Brodheadsville, PA

------------------------
Matthew Todd wrote:
"I did use the tops with moulded fronts.  I actually
routed off the old fronts.  The alignment isn't real
bad.  But it is noticable to my eye since I was
looking for the problem."

Alan Barnard wrote:
"...The alignment thing is interesting. Since
front-to-back position of the keys is not adjustable
without some major reengineering of the whole works,
you have to do it with the keytops. I've not had this
problem. Did you use the tops with molded fronts? Did
you cut off the old fronts or otherwise trim the
keysticks? You may have to use some judicious sanding
or shimming under the tops. "