soft, bass trill regulation

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:21:42 -0400

>Hmmm, speaking of pieces composers wrote after they were dead (how's
>that for a segue?), a friend and I have been having a discussion
>about Schubert's Sonata in B (flat) D 960, first movement with the G
>flat (that's Gb1)-A flat (Ab1) trill in the left hand, played at
>pianissimo.  Barring any fault with the pianist (or not), would
>there be something about the regulation of the notes that would make
>trilling down there at pianissimo more (or less) successful?  I'd
>welcome both comments on pianistic technique and an analysis of what
>in regulation would help or hinder the performance.

The Schubert D960 bass trill is one of the prices the modern piano
paid in its acoustic power deal with the devil. I use that, and a few
other spots like the first chord of Beethoven Op 13, to illustrate
how the characteristics of the original fortepiano can be absolutely
critical. The most perfect regulation and piano technique on a modern
piano will not achieve what you can do instantly, naturally, and
without special effort, on the original piano. The problem transcends
mechanical actuation and relates more to the acoustics of how to
create that trill. The effect is lost because the definition of the
trill cannot be achieved with thick, long bass strings. Bit like
trying to race a luxury sedan on the track. Some things it just ain't
intended to do naturally. In the case of that Schubert trill it all
comes down to sonic definition, regardless of regulatory success.

Now an interesting thing about that sonata that is seldom heard
becuase so few people play the repeat. The first movement repeated
section has a lead-back first ending that concludes with that famous
pp trill, but, just that one time only, played ff. Makes all those pp
versions everywhere else all the more like distant echos. The first
time you hear it it is then really a pre-echo, if that makes sense.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Piano Design Lab