Drilling for key leads and key flex

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 06:32:43 -0500

I don't glue them in either. The only reason I address glue is because I
think that bonding the lead to the spruce key would help minimize any
increase in flex. Again, I'm not suggesting to actually do that.

I can't imagine what good leaving a thin veneer of wood on one side of the
lead would do for you. My guess is that drilling holes mid-way (top to
bottom) in the key won't have a huge impact on flex - certainly less than if
one drilled the hole closer to the top of bottom. Sounds to me like time to
experiment! Make a loooong key (to make it easier to measure changes in
flex) and measure flex with no holes. Drill one hole and measure flex with
some amount of weight (maybe different weights). Drill more holes and keep
measuring flex. I'd be curious - curious enough to read your report!

Terry Farrell