How to explain a pitch adjustment

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:07:40 -0800

I like to keep it SIMPLE and "customer friendly". I have never had a problem
explaining (if/when necessary) why a separate procedure called a pitch raise
is needed. Simply put, I tell them that the overall string tension has to be
"restored" to a point where only small tuning pin movements are needed and
will not effect previously tuned notes. They easily grasp the concept and in
many cases thank me for the explanation.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Geoff Sykes" <thetuner@ivories52.com>
To: "'Pianotech'" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: How to explain a pitch adjustment
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:44:28 -0800

Dave --

I like the bicycle analogy. May not work on some of those older folks but it
gives me fuel to think about.

I also like the show-n-tell approach. I'm using PRCT. Is the idea to stop
the rotation on, say, the right string, then mute that right string and,
say, the left string and stop the rotation on the middle string and then go
back and look at how much rotation is now showing on that original right
string?

-- Geoff