Let's Get This Settled was How to explain a pitch adjustment..and!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:18:06 -0600

> So an adjunct question: Let's say we find a piano 15 cents flat. We pitch
> correct and fine tune and walk out the door with a follow-up appointment
> set for three months. When that day arrives, for those who have set such
> appointments, is the piano any flatter or more sour than it would have been
> if we found it A440 but still came back in three months?

In my experience, the bigger the pitch raise, the more erratic the
tuning will be three months later. There's no way to tell, doing
that pitch raise, to what degree the string is immediately rendering
through the bridge, so the unequal segment tensions will settle in
and more nearly equalize over time, leaving the tuning rougher than
if it had been done on a piano already at pitch.

Incidentally, in this part of the world, school system pianos get
knocked down in the Fall, just before it gets cold, and pulled up in
late Winter, just before it gets warm. It's typically a 15-20 cent
pitch adjustment each way (for which no one will pay, beyond the
base tuning cost, which they expect to be discounted), and the
follow up tuning will be at the next scheduled 15-20 cent pitch
adjustment. This is year after year after year. Too often, the same
applies in homes. They don't expect a discount, but they aren't
about to pay for pitch adjustments twice a year, or do follow up
tunings in between.

> Certainly I've restrung pianos and found them pretty sick in a couple of
> months but have always attributed that to new wire stretch, not tension
> settling.

Beyond initially getting the piano to pitch and minimally stable in
the shop, I don't think strings really stretch that much after a
week or two (if that).
Ron N