soundboards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:17:53 EST

HI John
  I think you've hit a VERY SIGNIFICANT cause of our  objections to new the
new piano shaped objects being sold at Costco or  wherever.
  .Yeah The Hammers. Yes, & voicing,  or a  hammer transplant can seriously
improve things And yet if the soundboard  design & execution is lacking then
the musical tone index goes down &  the noise & aural pain index goes up.
  My experience ,with most old Os & Ls from the 20's.  is The rib support in
these pianos is so lacking that 9 out of 10 boards I see  in these pianos are
flat as pancakes and or have as many cracks as a venetian  blind.
 Now remember I'm in Calif. where pianos longevity is  greatly enhanced by
our climate. Providing that the pianos lived here most of  there lives they've
suffered less.. So what does that tell you about the  conditions of others that
have groaned thru harsh winters & summers?
   My Advice to all is stop being so optimistic  about the condition of old
compression crowned boards. It's a method full of  pitfalls which is a self
destructing method in which all crown has collapsed by  now  in pianos built 85
plus years ago
  Regards
  Dale

Hi Avery,

I'm sorry, I was in a not-so-clear-way actually  referring to 2
different aspects. I'm sure the hammer is the largest part of  the
punchy and bright equation. Keep in mind I don't mean to suggest I've
done extensive testing on the matter, I only started seriously
considering these things since I bought my older S&S L and noticed it
is prettier than new ones (and the other old L's I've played are pretty
also!). I also don't mean to suggest that newer pianos can't have a
pretty sound, but there's just something about some of these older
ones,  for whatever reason.

- John