Circle of Sound

Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:10:21 +0100

Hi Ron, Thumpy... and others.

Didnt really get a chance to finish this as I was out the door for an
afternoon of x-country skiing in the mountains around Bergen today.
Wheew.... what a day.. but thats another story.

No, I didnt get offended whatsoever by your post... it was just an
example I pulled out because it was such a good one.  We do this kind of
thing all the time on the list and in other discussions. And it does
have some perhaps hidden, but none the less unfortunate consequences.
To overstate the point abit... let me illustrate thus..

A fellow asks "what the specific acoustical effects are when mass is
applied to the underside of the bridge ?"   The answer he gets is that "
You get a better sound".

I think its fair to say that the answer to the question here is both
highly subjective in nature, and really doenst supply the fellow with
any of the information he was after.

Ok... so I really over stated the example... but perhaps you get the
point.  I see this all the time, and without taking the slightest
offense at it (realizing I am just as likely to be guilty of such
myself) I expressed a desire for a more disspassionate and informative
approach.  I by no means meant to single out anyone in particular...
thought I'd made both that clear, and the fact that I have only the
highest regard for you.

Sorry to have ruffled the proverbial feathers... not my intention whatsover.

Cheers
RicB