Having Someone to Take Over the Business [wasMy Son]

Warren Fisher fishwar@bellsouth.net
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:26:33 -0500

Richard,
I discovered that one of my customers was in the Navy and getting ready to  retire.  We hit it off over about a years time and I discovered that he was doing yard work to keep busy so I said to him "If you ever get tired of pushing a mower around come talk to me about learning piano repair". Two days later we were talking about it.
I explained the facts of the piano business to him:
1. He couldn't learn it on the job because I  didn't have time to teach him and do my job too.
2. There was no place locally to go train for it. (Louisiana)
3. It takes two years to be minimally competent.  Five to be proficient.

I told him if he would consider swapping hours with me at the rate of five of his for one of mine until the total of his hours was $2500 at minimum wage, I would cut back my tunings to 3 days a week and train him in shop repair.  I told him what I was making an hour and he thought it was a bargain.  This gave me nearly two years of free labor in the shop and gave him my undivided attention while he was learning. After six months my gross income increased by 40% and best of all I had a new friend and comrade in the business.   Three years later, I had the opportunity to buy a customer list from a technician that was moving to the west coast and he bought into the business as a junior partner.  When I retired, I just gave him the keys and walked away, totally free!  When I am not traveling around the country being frivolous, I do shop work for him at a wage that is a whole lot better than Wall Mart!!
What'cha think?
Warren

Warren Fisher- Navy Retired - Slidell, Louisiana
98 2500 Dodge Cummins TD, DTT Auto, Smart Controller, E-Brake, ATF, EGT, and Boost gauges, Mag Hytec tranny and differential pans, Aux. tranny cooler, 4" exhaust, monster air filter, engine 125 hp upgrade.
02 Titanium fiver 28E33, aerodynamic front end, 2-120W solr panls, Friendship 2000 invrtr,
four Lifeline absorbed glass mat battries, Honda 5000 genset

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Gullion
To: Pianotech
Sent: 6/30/2005 5:54:10 PM
Subject: Re: My Son

Just the other day a client asked me what about the future. Do you have anyone to take over for you. I felt very sad at the thought, as I have 4 sons 19 right up to 29, all off on their own. None have ever expressed even a minor interest. I have a steady tuning list, repair clients, and a huge assortment of books, tools and advertising from times past. A wonderful museum for the piano lover. It now has me thinking if its all been worth the effort, study, and building of a business that may come to an abrubt halt.

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
  List
    This week is a good week.
  My 19 yr old Nocturnally oriented musician Son, Dennis, who has worked part time in the shop, finally came to me  at 6:30 am Tuesday with a hug & a smile  & says I want your job. ........I bout fell over. I asked him if he was getting married .  Nahhh..  no girl friend.  He says I need to learn all the stuff I don't know yet. WOW!!!!!!!! Especially the wood working stuff. hmmmm
    It's tough searching for direction at the age he is & honestly I was the same age when I did the same thing to my DAD. I'm guessing from what he says now he was just as shocked as I am today
   It's a great feeling. I hope it works out but I want it ot be the right thing for him. He already does all the hammer prep, boring ,hanging etc. He helped me fit a block to the flange the other day. It doesn't get any better than this . Besides I could use a break & another belly man here
  Regards
  Dale

Richard
the "Piano Guy"