re-stringing and CA

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:55:40 -0500

I've done a couple of uprights this way with excellent results. I just
squirted a little CA directly into the hole before driving in the next
size larger pin. I use an air chisel to push the pins in instead of
driving them with the hammer. It has to be easier on the pin block.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Cy Shuster
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 4:54 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: re-stringing and CA

Larger pins (lo-torque or otherwise) have to put more splitting pressure
on the pinblock, possibly causing further damage.  Using same-size
replacement pins and pre-treating the holes with CA might fill in some
existing cracks and make the block stronger.  Would you swab the holes
first and let it dry before driving in (or dropping in!) the pins, or do
it in one go?

Just guessing, here...

--Cy--