Weird giraffe-monster-piano

Justin A. Kraft tune@jkraft.net
Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:42:21 -0400 (EDT)

It actually looks like they took a regular grand plate, and installed it
vertically.  Imagine if it were laid on its back, you would have a grand
piano.  Since it is a grand-oriented plate, I would imagine the tuning
pins to be right above the keyboard on the front of the piano.  The action
is in the back, or if it were oriented like a grand, the underside of the
plate.  The tuning pins, therefore, would be unobstructed by the action in
back, and be able to be tuned from the front.  In one of the photos you
can actually see the back of the pinblock behind the action- which seems
to be a normal upright action mounted in reverse.

While we're on the subject of pianos on Ebay, I just want to say that it
really frosts me that these "antique" dealers don't want to pay the
nominal fee to have these pianos tuned and evaluated by a piano
technician.  It doesn't cost much, and the fact that it has been gone over
by someone who _is_ a piano expert should add to the credibility of the
description.  It's like buying a $250,000 car without having a mechanic
look at it!

--Justin.