Bass String Splice

mps@usol.com mps@usol.com
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:35:17 EST

Hello to all!

This morning I spliced a broken single bass string on an old upright.
Since the the wire broke relatively close to the copper windings, it was
necessary to remove some of them to be able to make the needed
loop in the wire.
All went well with the splice until I began pulling it up to pitch. It now
has "zero" tone to it. It sounds as though it is being dampened
somewhere. (However, it is not!)
Could it be that too many windings were removed and it is now new
wire time?  (I removed about an inch of the copper)

Thank you in advance

Mark
Montbriand