Reading a dial gauge

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:39:49 -0400

I get a touch over .012" for a 1 degree angle.  Assuming
symmetrical front and back angles, etc.

-Mark

Let's simplify a bit more.  Take the scenario below and let's say there's a
15mm spread between the front and rear bridge pins.  What would the reading
need to be to indicate a total bearing (front plus rear) of 1 degree.  I
just need a baseline.  I use this for checking bearing on a strung piano at
tension.  A couple mm difference in the bridge pin spacing isn't that
critical for this operation.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David Love
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:33 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Reading a dial gauge

Let's simplify.  I zero the three prongs on a level surface.  I place the
center plunger on top of the string in the center of the bridge.  The two
outer prongs are resting on either side of the bridge.  The dial reads .018.
Do I have 1 degree of overall bearing?  And if it reads .036, I assume I
have 2 degrees.  Do I have that right?

David Love