Reading a dial gauge

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:58:21 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0006_01C581B5.0E3A1B80
Very thorough-and much more than I needed.  Thanks.  I wish I had my =
Lowell
back.  Anyway,  that does help and perhaps this dial gauge will turn out =
be a much easier way to tweak the bearing as you can set it on top of =
the
bridge while you turn nose bolts up and down and/or change the height of =
the
set screws on the modified perimeter mountings. =20

=20

Much appreciated. =20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Sarah Fox
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:09 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Reading a dial gauge

=20

Hi David,

=20

Here it is, step by step...  But then after all this mess, I managed to
simplify it further, so read on down a bit....

=20

First, convert that 15mm spread to inches, since your tool is in inches:

=20

15 mm / 25.4 mm/in =3D .59 in

=20

Next, plug in:

=20

A=3Ddownbearing angle
  =3D 1 deg

d=3Ddeflection (gauge reading)

  =3D unknown (to be determined)

b=3Dbridge width from front pin to back pin

  =3D .59 in

A=3D2 Arcsin(d/(1-b/2)),
1=3D2 Arcsin(d/(1-.59/2))      (substitute)

1 =3D 2 Arcsin(d/(1-.295))     (simplify)

1 =3D 2 Arcsin(d/.705)          (simplify)

1/2 =3D Arcsin(d/.705)          (divide both sides by two)

.5 =3D Arcsin(d/.705)            (simplify)

sin(.5) =3D d/.705                 (take the sine of both sides)

.00873 =3D d/.705                (simplify)

.00873*.705 =3D d               (multiply both sides by .705  (Mark, I =
think
you divided by accident!  I made the same mistake the first time through =
but
caught the error.)

d =3D .00615 in                    (simplify)

=20

This is a bit less than the required deflection of .009" in the case of =
bridge of zero width.  If you think about it, this makes sense.  The =
wider
the bridge is, the greater an angle you will create with a given amount =
of
deflection.

=20

Extrapolating from here, you can safely say that a deflection of .01230
means 2 deg, a deflection of .01845 means 3 deg, etc. -- again, up until =
point, where the sine is no longer approximately equal to the arc.  This
relationship of course changes with a bridge of a different width.  Then
you'll need to pull out the calculator again and do what I did above.

=20

Of course I've overly complicated this thing, as usual.  Using this same
assumption, we can simplify the whole mess even further, removing all
apparent traces of trigonometry.  Try this:

=20

A =3D angle of deflection

d =3D deflection

b =3D bridge width (in inches)

=20

A =3D d / (.00873 * (1-b/2))

=20

or if you know b and A and want to calculate d...

=20

d =3D A * .00873 * (1-b/2)

=20

Using this form, I get...

=20

d =3D 1 * .00873 * (1-.59/2)

d =3D .00873 * .705

d =3D .00615    (same answer)

=20

Mark stated an assumption that the front and rear angles had to be
symmetrical, but we're already assuming that the sine equals the arc.
Without getting into a trigometric discussion, basically it doesn't =
matter
any more whether the angles are symmetrical than it matters that the =
sine
doesn't really equal the arc.  Close enough.  I wouldn't worry about the
symmetry of the angles.

Hope this helps!  :-)

=20

Peace,