Stienway d-rolled bridge saga- report

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:02:16 -0700

Dave, et al,

I was wondering who would speak up on this.  Seeing that no one else has,
and there seems to be some continuing interest, here are some thoughts:

  - What you are seeing is not all that uncommon.  It is primarily, but
certainly not exclusively, found on larger instruments.  S&S Ds and Bs in
particular are susceptible.  While there are ways in which the problems you
describe can sometimes be ameliorated temporarily, the correct fix is, of
course, a new board.

  - This goes largely, but not exclusively co-equally to the much-debated
method of construction used, changes made in those methods over time
(beginning in the mid-1950s, and pretty much completed during the later
1980s/early 1990s), and, like it or not, the combined problems faced by all
piano makers of decreasing quality both as to raw materials and labor pool.

  - The letter you received from the person at S&S is a paraphrase of what
various folks in various positions there have been saying for at least the
last 40 years about this and similar issues.  I have copies of similar
correspondence and/or notes from conversations relating to service dating
back to the mid-1960s buried someplace about this kind of thing.

  - Do not count on S&S to fully acknowledge the problem.  Even if they do,
you cannot be sure of how the repairs (if in fact, any are authorized at
all) will be carried out.  In the event that they do, I would urge you to
take exceptionally careful measurements of everything from deck height (of
both the plate and the under side of the pin block) to speaking length; and
then make sure to document everything with appallingly anal clarity.

  - FWIW, it may well be that you simply wind up having to live with the
beast.  If that turns out to be the case, encourage the owners to start
planning now on having the board (and, in all likelihood, the block)
replaced sooner rather than later.  And, have that work done elsewhere.

Best regards.

Horace