Stienway d-rolled bridge saga- report

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:47:05 -0500

> While there are ways in which the
> problems you describe can sometimes be ameliorated temporarily, the
> correct fix is, of course, a new board.

There are? What might these ways be to temporarily ameliorate a
collapsed soundboard as a field repair? I'd very much like to hear
this in detail. Photos and testimonials welcome also, if available.

>  - This goes largely, but not exclusively co-equally to the much-debated
> method of construction used, changes made in those methods over time
> (beginning in the mid-1950s, and pretty much completed during the later
> 1980s/early 1990s), and, like it or not, the combined problems faced by
> all piano makers of decreasing quality both as to raw materials and
> labor pool.

Elaborate please. Specifically what methods of soundboard
construction changed at Steinway between the mid 1950s and the later
1990s? I'm aware of the materials problem with compression crowned
soundboard construction, as it's always been a problem, but how does
the labor pool account for any of this? How much training is
necessary to cook a panel?

Ron N