Spinet Bass String

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 09 Jul 2005 16:23:33 -0300

Go to your local auto parts store, and buy an appropriate length of brake line. It is fairly inexpensive. Feed the string through it, leaving the eye out, and you can feed it down fairly easily.
If you drill a hole through it at the end, and put a centre pin through, and CA/solder it in place. Then you can use it to feed behind the bass strings, to replace a broken string.
You separate the ends of the string, and as you pull up, you can be sure of no twists in the string.
I either got the idea at a convention class, or on this list.
This proves that the list, and conventions, can inform you of a better way to do a job. Saving you a lot of frustration.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 4:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Spinet Bass String

  No need to remove action for bass string replacement on any piano (including spinet).

  I find that I need to remove the action sometimes to replace a treble or upper tenor string when the bridge pins and hitch pin is way up behind the action. I'll just bet that some resourceful techie out there routinely replaces these without removing the action (or maybe most of you!). Care to share tips/techniques?

  I remember when I first started tuning pianos, I found that on many pianos - especially spinets (and most especially on those 1970s Baldwin spinets with the super-wide fallboard) - I had to remove the fallboard to make enough room to put mutes into the strings for tuning. Now, of course, I think about that and wonder what the heck my problem ever was.......

  Terry Farrell

    I will be practicing bass string replacement on a spinet (using universal strings).  Is it necessary to take the action out like I would in a upright, or can I just go for it?

    Thanks!

    Matthew