Spinet Bass String

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 16:29:37 -0700

  Subject: Re: Spinet Bass String

  Matthew - Why use "universal" strings? They turn out to be =
time-consuming to trim to length and are individually more expensive =
than "bespoke" new strings. You'll get all the practice you need in =
replacing bass covered strings by simply putting on a set of proper bass =
strings! And YES you must remove the action for this re-stringing - =
you'll damage the dampers otherwise and tie yourself in knots dodging =
the action parts.
  Michael G.(UK)
    Michael,
        Respectfully, I must not agree---I would never remove the action =
in a spinet-(Acrosonic possibly the exception) to replace a bass string.
        Use care to avoid damaging dampers? Of course,but any number of =
methods can be employed to get a bass string installed without =
contacting the dampers.
        Furthermore, If a damper did get damaged --or even three --I =
carry an assortment of the usual suspects in my backup kit.
        Two minutes to replace a damper felt or maybe an hour to R and R =
a spinet action?
        Also the grommets can crumble on many of our fine Baldwin =
-Kimball drop actions when disturbed
        Your colleague,
        Tom Driscoll RPT