Steinway quality control problems---a possible solution !

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:23:32 -0400

Hi Thump,

I think you wouldn't be courting legal troubles if you include all the
manufacturers, or at least the major ones, in your service problems list.
If anyone is interested in doing this, the archives cna be mined for this
info.  For each new thread that introduces a new service problem on a new or
newish piano (e.g. no older than 5 years), record what the service problem
was and on what piano.  Of course the data will not be a *good* reflection
of rate of service problems, because the purchaser of an S&S D is going to
be a bit pickier than the purchaser of a Samick spinet and is going to
complain louder if it isn't delivering the sound that it should.  Of course
it would be a relatively good indication of reliability issues as perceived
by the average owner of each type of piano.

A better way for this to be done would be for some technician (or better
still, for some ptg chapter) to put together a database from old service
records.

Anyway, my point is that you could do this for ALL manufacturers and
therefore not be picking on any particular one.  You would be handling the
matter like Consumer Reports would.  A summary of common problems by
manufacturer and model would indeed be and excellent tool for consumers, and
I agree that it would probably force some corrective change in the industry.

Peace,
Sarah