Spinets and Hearing Aids

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:53:12 -0400

Michael!!

For £5000, Sir John could afford a better piano!  :-P

Seriously, I know an elderly woman with Alzheimer's who was recently fitted
with a hearing aid.  The device (one ear only) has been checked, rechecked,
and re-re-checked, and it functions as it should.  Even her psychometric
test data confirm this.  Although she can now understand us when we are
speaking, she complains that ALL sounds are obnoxious to her, including
anything with frequency components that were in her hearing deficit range
(e.g. onions frying in a skillet).  She is happiest with the hearing aid
turned down or even off (serving as an ear plug).

Because her sensitivity curve changed with her hearing loss, she became
accustomed to hearing the world in muted tones.  The "normal" sound of a
piano, for instance, would be very muffled and heavy on the bass, probably
including a spinet.  (Think of one of those booming, consumer-grade, muffly
stereos from the early 1970's.)  When you change that sound envelope by
restoring higher frequency hearing (the range most frequently lost), sound
becomes tintier (as it normally sounds to someone with healthy ears).  Thus
higher partials, buzzes, rattles, etc., etc. -- sounds with higher frequency
components -- sound obnoxious.

So the problem isn't Sir John's spinet, per se <cough, cough>, but the fact
that he is now hearing this magnificent instrument as it normally sounds to
the rest of us.  He may in fact have preferred the spinet's sound to a
larger instrument's sound because of its relatively greater emphasis on
higher frequencies.  That would enable him to hear the melody better, for
instance.  Now that his "tone control settings" have been diddled with, he
doesn't like the sound.  Ask him to listen to a larger, better piano and see
if he likes that more.

In short, he's going to have to accept that the world sounds differently
from what he's previously experienced.

Peace,
Sarah,
in a calm, warm, but overcast village of Seaford (VA) by the Chesapeake Bay,
thankful not to be in coastal Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, or Louisiana.
(Good luck, y'all!!)