Bechstein Questions

SallyPhillips sphillips54@direcway.com
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:16:32 -0400

Hi folks,

I can help answer your C. Bechstein questions.  C. Bechstein has rescaled
almost every piano in their line in the last several years.  The new 192cm,
210cm, and 280cm grands now have a capo in the treble.  Only the 232 is
still made with the agraffes all the way up.  The 232 however has a really
nice sweet tone and does project very well.  The Bechstein Academy line is
the less expensive of the two lines.

I have asked dealers not to have voicing done on these pianos until I have
the chance to speak to or work with their tech.  The hammers are not as hard
as most German hammers and they respond very quickly to needling.  They have
had all the preliminary needling done at the factory and need very little to
make a change.  Also the fitting of the hammers to the strings is usually
very good and even any slight needling to the crown will change that.  When
I visit the Bechstein dealers I always schedule a lot of time with the techs
to address any questions they might have regarding the regulation and
voicing.

I just spent a week at the factory in Seifhennersdorf (Saxony) and had a
great time observing the manufacturing process as well as the incredible
machinery.  We will have a new Bechstein America website up within the month
and I will let you all know when that is ready.  I hope to have lots of pics
from the factory on the site.

If you have any technical questions you may email me and I will help.
Questions that involve the history of models might have to be answered by
Germany.  I'm really only familiar with the current models and the few that
I serviced over the years as a tech.  I know about older models but may have
never seen one.  Just make sure that you have the serial number of the piano
and I can get any information from the factory that you need.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Sally Phillips

Director