Steinway quality control problems---a possible solution !

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:23:21 -0400

I think sometimes when one works for one company for many years you can
loose an objective or broad point of reference. I was dumbfounded at a PTG
chapter meeting when the head tech for the Steinway dealer gave a technical
on prepping the new Steinway.

He addressed voicing (I'll paraphrase): "You always start in the mid treble
area. You will often find an area of diminished volume and/or sustain. This
area will represent the potential of the piano - you voice the rest of the
piano down to blend with the weak area in the treble."

I couldn't believe it. He was instructing to voice the rest of the piano so
that it didn't overpower a killer octave area. Unbelievable. I think he had
just seen pianos like that for so long he didn't realize that not all pianos
have those characteristics.

Terry Farrell

> Steinway has no problem selling their pianos as they are with all their
> quirks.   What  interests me is the service people
> working for Steinway.   How can they not be hearing all the feedback from
> their own people and technicians.

SNIP