Mysterious unsolvable Yamaha double-striking uprights

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:10:50 +0200

MessageHello Geoffrey.

What could possibly cause the hammer to hit the string before letoff has =
occured ?  Maybe the centers are too far away from the strings, and the =
hammers don't strike at a right angle, so gravity causes the hammers to =
move away from the jack ?  I can't see what other force could cause this =
premature movement.

Best regards,

St=E9phane Collin.

  What I am witnessing is this: When I play the note, just before the =
jack releases from under the butt the hammer jumps off the jack =
prematurely and strikes the string. After striking the string the hammer =
then bounces back onto the jack, which is still in it's pre-release =
position. Continuing through the keystroke results in the hammer =
striking the note a second time as the jack finally releases from under =
the butt.