Bridges; was: Plate Horn

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:34:49 -0400

Dale Erwin wrote:
Is This so really much more difficult to notch with a really sharp  =
chisel than a plain old good hard piece of tight grain stock?
   Dale

Dale asked that question regarding notching a six-lamination maple =
bridge cap. I would say that it is a bit more difficult. These =
laminations are about 1-1/2 millimeters thick, so the notch only cuts =
into two or three laminations typically - that is only crossing one or =
two epoxy lines. So yes, it is more difficult, but not at all =
unmanageable - as long as you keep the laminations thick enough.

Why do you ask - does my notching look THAT bad?

But, 1) because I have no talent whatsoever for hand notching, and 2) =
because I wish to explore building harder bridge caps in the future, I =
think a good notching machine will benefit me immensely. I want to try =
building caps using thinner laminations and possibly harder material.

Terry Farrell