room climate control

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:20:36 -0400

Hi Jurgen,

I dehumidify my shop with a basement-type dehumidifier (1,000 square =
feet - oh gosh, what would that be for people on a sensible measurement =
system, maybe 92 square meters?).

My first dehumidifier had a humidistat that worked very poorly (Sears =
dehumidifier with a conventional dial-type humidistat). The humidistat =
was useless.

Then I bought a Sears dehumidifier with an electronic humidistat. The =
thing worked great for several years until the coils or something =
crapped out.

I wanted to replace it with the same unit, but because we had just had 4 =
hurricanes blast through the area, Sears was out of them. So I bought a =
Bonaire unit with an electronic humidistat. The thing dehumidifies =
great, but the humidistat works like crap. Useless. It's like the thing =
is isolated from the environment.

A few years ago I ran my first Sears dehumidifier off a DC H2 =
humidistat. That setup is right at the limit of the capacity of the H2. =
DC folks told me that such a setup could indeed burn out the unit (I =
think it is the startup of the unit). It worked fine for me, but I =
wouldn't recommend it - longevity may be a question.

I would however recommend a Sears dehumidifier with an electronic =
humidistat. They really work well. I was so very happy with my unit.

Terry Farrell
  I have a client with a 7' Kawai grand in a basement studio.  The =
Relative Humidity  is always on the high side (60%).  I urged him to =
monitor the humidity with an electronic hygrometer and to get a =
dehumidifier.

  He did this, however the controller on the dehumidifier in very =
inaccurate.  With the controller set at 40%, it cut out when the =
humidity is still above 60%.  The manufacturer told him they are all not =
precise.  He has searched for higher end units, but even the =
manufacturers of these do not guarantee the precision of their =
controllers.

  I would prefer to control the environment in the studio because it =
"should" be a straight forward thing to do.  I feel a Piano Life Saver =
System will simply always be fighting the higher humidity in the room.

  I have thought of using a Piano Life Saver humidistat to control a =
simple room de-humidifier.  Would this work?  Would he need a relay  =
between the humidistat and the de-humidifier?

  Any thoughts, and especially experiences, welcome.

  Jurgen Goering
  www.pianofortesupply.com