room climate control

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:56:12 -0400

IMHO, you are not missing a thing. In fact, I think you are right on. =
That is why I recommended the Sears dehumidifier with electronic =
humidistat. I used one for years and it kept my shop (in muggy Florida) =
within a couple percent of 45% RH. I did set a small fan on top of the =
unit and kept it on low to insure good air circulation.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Skolnik=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:38 AM
  Subject: Re: room climate control

  Jurgen -

  I can't give you specific recommendations (research required), but I =
would not be so quick to drop the idea of a room humidifier, especially =
in a basement space.  Most of the time, unless the basement is naturally =
dry, some type of dehumidifying process is necessary, even apart from =
the presence of a piano.  I'm sure there are varying quality units, as =
well as perfectly reliable humidistats that can be optained.  It may =
well be that you would have to rewire a unit to bypass the built-in =
sensor if you want to run it through a better grade humidity-sensing =
switch, but I wonder why you couldn't just use a standard (quality) =
appliance and adjust the setting based on whatever hygrometer is being =
used (also, hopefully of some quality), ignoring the nominal setting on =
the appliance entirely.  Am I missing something?

  David Skolnik=20