PitchLock install results

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:18:20 -0400

List

Just installed a set of PitchLock clips on a Kohler and Campbell console with rampant false beats in the treble.  This was one of those untunable pianos; I always left with my tail between my legs.  Owned by a musician, too.

I suggested we use his piano as my guinea pig to see if these devices might not help to eliminate some of the out-of-tuneness in the treble.  I chose his piano to try this on because he was a musician, and would be able to hear any difference more acutely than a layman, and be able to asses and discuss it in musical terms.  And because his piano sounded like @#$%.

He agreed to let me try it.  I installed the clips from G5 on up, because that's where the false beating was most problematic.

The results?  A more-than-noticeable improvement.  As I was tuning each unison, I felt as if they sounded a bit strange.  This piano was tinny to begin with, and it almost seemed as if the clips amplified the tinniness.  And, there was still some falseness in some of the unisons, they weren't all perfect. (though some were!)

But when I put the tuning hammer down and played the piano, WOW.  It sounded SO much cleaner. It didn't sound strange when being played, and no more tinny than the rest of the piano.  There was no question in my mind, or my musician-client's: they definitely improved the sound of the piano.

Only time will tell if they also improve the stability of the tuning.  Logic would dictate that they would: only two strings to go out of tune instead of three.

I know there was a recent thread on the list re:PitchLock and  I confess I didn't read it.  So if any of this is redundant, pardon me.  I rarely have anything to contribute to the list, but I thought you all might benefit from my recent experience.

Tom Sivak
Chicago