room climate control

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:31:45 -0500

Yes these systems really work and it may require a rethinking of how we
market the need for tuning. 3 to 7 cents sharp in the middle means that
the piano won't sound awful and may not even be really noticeable to the
customer but it will definitely make it sound a little ripe. The
customer may not be able to identify the sound as being out of tune
because the onset is so gradual. But it certainly won't be performing at
its optimum.

In such situation I relay to the customer that oftentimes people tell me
that they find themselves playing the piano more right after it gets
tuned. This is because the piano sounds so great! They are getting more
enjoyment out of their playing and they will play it more. As it
gradually starts drifting it won't really sound out of tune but they
won't get as much enjoyment and may find themselves playing it less.

The question is when did the piano get to be 3 to 7 cents sharp? I
suspect it wasn't just the week before you got there. It was probably
+/- 2 to 3 at 4 months and +/- 3 to 7 at 9 months. That means for most
of the year that she has waited to get her piano tuned it has been out
of tune, it has not been optimum. It may have sounded "okay" but she has
been cheating herself out of what her piano is capable of.

The answer to the question of "how often should I get it tuned?" is how
badly do you want it to go out before you get it retuned? Most of us
could return to one of our tunings a week or two later and do some
tweaking. The piano starts to go out as soon as we are done tuning. The
goal of a regular tuning schedule is to keep the piano IN TUNE and not
to let it get OUT OF TUNE. Alan's customer is a classical pianist. She
needs her piano to be in tune every time she sits down to play. For it
to be out 7 cents is way too much for such a pianist, even though it may
sound "okay." Does she want her ears to become accustomed to the sound
of an out of tune piano? Because that is what she is training them to
accept by allowing her piano to go out that much.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802