Piano Design Question

Richard Cromwell rcromwell1@msn.com
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:37:42 -0400

In my minimal studies of piano design the benefits that overstrung scales
provide over a straight scale are pretty simple

Overstringing maximizes the length of the bass strings while being able to
position the bass bridge closer to the center/most flexible part of the
soundboard.  This is important as the amplitude of the lower frequencies
produced by the bass strings move the board more and thus benefit from the
additional throw available closer to the center.  I am not going to bother
to go into why maximizing the length of the bass strings is important,
because if you don't know. you shouldn't be reading this. :-).  I think that
the designers of old felt that the substantial benefits yielded in the
quality of tone produced in the bass section of the piano by overstinging
far outweigh any resulting deficiencies (which there are of course) in the
tenor or anywhere else for that matter. which makes sense to me.

Also I wouldn't concern myself so much with the effect of one sections'
bridge (bass, tenor, and treble) effect on one another from an "each having
its own individual soundboard area" paradigm, because the sympathetic
resonance aspect of string physics alone will effect the tonal quality more
in those regards anyway. sometimes positively in a desirable way on a well
scaled instrument.

That's my 2 cents, which in this economy isn't worth very much. :-|

Richard Cromwell

Cromwell's Piano Service

  _____