Capstan Tool

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:02:55 -0700

Joe and Joe,

I just R & R'd a set of capstans with my own version of a powered
capstan tool. I wondered about putting a hook on the end but found that
none was necessary. The force of the drill motor keeps the tool in place
and side clearance is an issue unless you raise each key you're working
on. The hex drive shaft is a great idea. I used a mute handle as stock
for the tool and it wanted to spin in the drill chuck so I had to swage
three sides on the shaft to get a better grab on it. (Oops, this size
doesn't fit Yamaha).

The only difficulty was starting a capstan in a new hole. I used an
arbor press (from 'arbor Freight) to get it started and that prevented
the capstan tool from tearing it out of the hole.

Tom Cole

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IMG_0817.JPG
Type: image/jpeg