Bookkeeping Programs

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:26:18 -0700

FWIW: I use ACT! for contact tracking and scheduling. It also keeps =
track of
my notes, and any other information I want to keep there. It's very
flexible. It also lets me set up groups for reminders and mailings.=20
=20
I use a little program called CompanionLink to sync my ACT! databases =
and
scheduling with MS Outlook. This arrangement makes all my contacts
information available when I want to send emails, which I do with =
Outlook.=20
=20
I use an iPAQ pda because I use pRCT, but Outlook automatically syncs =
with
my iPAQ so now I have all my client information, scheduling and notes =
with
me all the time.=20
=20
Next, for accounting software I took my tax guys advice to keep it
ultra-simple. He suggested I set up an Excel spreadsheet for accounts
payable and one for accounts receivable. I also have a spreadsheet set =
up to
document mileage. Couldn't be easier. Plus, by keeping these =
spreadsheets in
the iPAQ link-folder on my desktop they are automatically copied over =
into
my iPAQ every time I sync. And, since the iPAQ is Windows based, I can =
use
it to access the spreadsheets if I have to. However, the only =
spreadsheet I
actually access with my iPAQ is mileage.=20
=20
Ta-Da! No double entry. Only one reasonably easy program to learn, =
(ACT!),
and the end result is I have everything in no less than three places =
which,
along with my backups, gives me more redundancy than I will ever need. =
Plus
I also have the advantage of being able to carry my office around with =
me in
my pocket. The only minor inconvenience is that you can only tentatively
schedule something in Outlook or on the iPAQ. In order to keep =
everything
synced up all the scheduling must be done with ACT!
=20
-- Geoff Sykes
Assoc. Los Angeles