Piano Design Question

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:37:26 -0400

Richard writes:
>In my minimal studies of piano design the
>benefits that overstrung scales provide over a
>straight scale are pretty simple

At least these **supposed advantages are simple
to state. Whether these claims are actually
achieved by the cross-strung design is
questionable. See Poletti's article: Steinway and
the invention of the cross-strung piano (in the
book Matiere et Musique: The Cluny Encounter,
Alamire, 2000
http://64.78.63.10/web/musica/alamire/eng/index.htm),
in which he concludes that neither of the
"conventional" reasons is actually true, and
proposes the real benefit was that it permitted
the use of larger strings [this is Henry
Steinway's word in the patent description, never
mentioning "longer" strings] -  larger strings,
i.e. thicker bass strings and higher tensions,
due to rearrangement of the stringband.

>  I think that the designers of old felt that the
>substantial benefits yielded in the quality of
>tone produced in the bass section of the piano
>by overstinging far outweigh any resulting
>deficiencies (which there are of course) in the
>tenor or anywhere else for that matterŠ which
>makes sense to me.

I would consider Julius Bluethner a designer of
old. In his 'Lehrbuch' for young piano builders
(1886), he uses the cross-strung design as the
basis for all discussion because it is 'the most
complicated'. But he repeatedly states that there
is no proven advantage to cross-stringing, that
this actually permits no significant increase in
string length, that it is easier to achieve a
balance of tone throughout the instrument with
the straight-strung design, and, furthermore,
that the tonal characteristics of the
cross-strung design could be obtained with
suitable modifications to a straight-strung
design, if required. In other words Bluethner, an
eminently respected late nineteenth century piano
builder, saw no acoustic advantage to
cross-stringing. Since he was building
cross-strung instruments at the time, and had
made both, these comments cannot be dismissed as
those of a traditionalist ranting at new ideas.

The fact that every piano manufactured worldwide
for the past century has been cross-strung is a
marketing and advertising coup of the highest
magnitude, even out-widozing Bill Gates in its
universality. It's interesting to have now
arrived at a time when this dogma can actually be
questioned, but, even now, commercial pressure is
strong enough that Del writes....
>The piano we're getting ready to build will be
>over-strung. Kind of. But it's only 6' 7" (200
>cm) and I am interested in selling them.

Stephen

--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
Piano Design Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115