Vertical tuning pins on upright

John Fortiner JLFortiner@usadig.com
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:46:34 -0600

That most likely was a Mason & Hamlin upright - not to be confused with
anything being sold today with that name.
They have been referred to as screw stretcher uprights as they used a series
of machined screws that threaded into a hook-like device that held the wire.
And yes - as a rule - they stay very well tuned for a long period of time -
at least in my experience.

John Fortiner
Billings, MT.

-----Original Message-----
From: staytuned@idirect.com [mailto:staytuned@idirect.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 6:58 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Vertical tuning pins on upright

In my early years in this business, I recall facing an upright piano with
vertical tuning pins on a screw-type mechanism. I remember that it took some
cranking to change the pitch slightly.

As I don't recall the make, does anyone know who the maker could have been?

It must have stayed tuned for a long time, for I haven't been called back
since!

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville  ON