Piano Design Question

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:41:19 +0200

Hi folks.

This subject matter is always intriguing, and frought with so many
unanswered questions in so many directions it can make your head spin.

I liked the below comments very much, and personally agree with regard
to preferences for low inharmonicity visa vi any tonal blend across the
break improvements a straight strung instrument may or may not have.

That said, again we are confronted with this matter of what sounds
<<best>>.  I read with interest Stephens comments about the Steinway
lead move towards overstrung pianos as being the greatest marketing coup
ever. And while I understand the drift and (I think) the degree to which
this is has truth, I simply can not escape the fact that the buying
public in such numbers as are neccessary to sustain a market preference
for this, and other design features, represents a kind of real and
tangeble judgement as to what sounds <<best>>.  Our individual tastes
and preferences are one thing, but what the masses of piano buyers
evidently prefer are another... and I'll admit to a point (and only to a
point) that these preferences are coloured by fashion, and traditions.
Which makes it all the more difficult to get at any real meaningfull
definitions of what <<is>> optimal piano sound.

I am reminded somewhat of the discussion that rages in the western world
about the influence of  TV on viewers, visa vi the stance that TV simply
reflects viewers tastes... ( mentalities).

Still, I liked Terrys basic question, and it echos one I ask many times
about historic instruments.  Especially in the light of the weakening
piano industry, especially in the light that we (as Stephen has pointed
out) have arrived at a time when the Steinway sound is indeed being
questioned.  Why not try and create something new, break the mold as it
were ?  Stuart has tried... with some limited success.  A revival of
straight strung or similiar approaches is certainly possible... a
revival of square grands... spinets... ets updated with modern
technology is also possible.

But... for all this to succeed... the public is simply going to have to
decide that one piano sound is not really in the end all that
interesting.... that piano music has far more potential for expressive
interpretation then seems evident today.  Difficult to achieve at best.
Strikes me that far far to many listeners... and indeed pianists and
musicians themselves are not really all that aware of the bredth of real
interepretation that really exists given the present situation.

As and example, I wonder how many of us have taken the time to listen to
a given piece for string quartet played by 3-4 different ensembles ?
The lesson can be quite astounding really.

Lots of good food for thought.  Tho to be honest... I doubt if we are
going to nudge the present inertia one iota.

Cheers
Richard Brekne

Ron Overs writes :

Since there should be a shortening of the speaking length from the
last plain-strung note to the first covered wire, if this break is
also positioned at the break between the tenor and bass in an
overstrung design, it will yield a good transition and a
lowest-possible minimum inharmonicity for a given length of piano.
Now I realise that some will argue that we don't want the lowest
possible inharmonicity at the crossover. That's OK if that's what one
wants, but my preference is for a low inharmonicity scale, and the
overstrung layout would seem to allow for this to be taken further
than with straight or oblique stringing.

I admit that the overstrung layout also makes a good tonal blend
across the break more difficult to achieve, but that doesn't matter
provided you are aware of the potential for disaster and position the
bridges to achieve a similar stiffness for both bridges at the
crossover point. It can be done, though we do see some rather
ordinary examples in contemporary and not-so-contemporary designs
from time to time.

Ron O.