Piano Design Question

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:35:23 -0400

Hi all,

Entirely from a *commercial* standpoint, I would suggest that the pinnacle
of piano evolution (thus far) is represented by the baby grand and even
more, the odious spinet.  From that point, we have speciated into a new
class of pianos, the digitals, that will doubtless undergo an evolution of
their own.  I'm not suggesting that any of these pianos are actually decent
in any way that you and I would recognize.  I HATE small pianos.  But I'm in
a minority.  It's the buying public that drives piano evolution, and common
folx want smaller and lighter, even at the cost of performance and depth of
tone (which I think most people don't appreciate anyway).

Of course the relevance of this is that overstringing allows manufacturers
to squeeze a larger (longer-stringed) piano into a smaller package, and
something like a baby grand or a spinet probably wouldn't even be possible
without overstringing.  Even making the nose of a 7-footer skinnier makes it
easier to arrange furniture!  Builders generally allow about 2 ft along the
wall for where they think furniture will fit.  This defines the ultimate
dimension of a piano.  The gentle curve on the right side of a grand is put
there so that people can get in and out of doorways and snake their way
around other pieces of furniture!  It's sooo much more practical than the
shape of those old squares!  (Please note tongue in cheek!)  And remember
that the baby grand fits beautifully, nose-first, in any corner of the room,
taking up no more room than a love seat.  I may be wrong, but I doubt ANYONE
is going to be able to change this equation for any instrument to be used in
people's homes.

Why aren't there enormous bulbous, flat-strung concert instruments?  I
haven't a clue.  Perhaps concert-goers would think they look too funny --
not like the long, sleek big cousins of the baby grands in the corners of
their living rooms.  This entire question should NOT be directed to the
design or R&D departments, but rather to the marketing departments.  They're
the ones in charge, and only they know the answers.  We mortals can only
guess at their Divine Plan!

My guess:  If it makes the piano larger, it will be met with resistance.

Peace,
Sarah