Google Earth

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:40:05 -0400

I think this is on topic, since most of us have to find new addresses =
all the time.  But it's also great fun:
http://earth.google.com

It needs a connection faster than dialup, because the server is doing =
much of the heavy lifting here.

Google has combined the satellite pictures it bought from Keyhole along =
with terrain elevations and other mapping data to give you a 3D view of =
the entire globe that you can fly around from different heights and =
angles!  Instead of a straight down view, you can tilt the map and view =
it from any angle.  The photos are textured over the terrain data, so it =
looks very close to a plane's-eye view (OK, so the bridges droop into =
the valleys...).  You can turn on different data layers, such as street =
names, hotels, and restaurants.

The basic version is free for personal use.  The commercial version is =
$400, but lets you upload a file of addresses to be mapped, lets you =
print out in high resolution, upload your data from your GPS unit, and =
so on.  (By the way, I highly recommend Garmin's GPSMAP 60C.  See =
garmin.com.)

Every once in a while, I have trouble interpreting a map.  This =
crystallizes it for me.

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV