Piano Design Question

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:13:53 -0400

VT wrote:
>I think that a modern flat strung grand would be worth
>looking into.  I can only speculate, but my thinking
>is that the main advantage of the overstrung layout
>has to do with a more central placement (away from the
>rim) of the bottom notes on the bass bridge.

All that happens is that the low tenor and bass bridges change
position. The same areas of the soundboard effectively have bridges
on them. This "central bridge" is non-reason #2 for the cross-strung
design. [non-reason #1 is that any supposed increase in string length
by crossing them is meaningless].

On the other hand, here's some potential genuine reasons:
(1) By angling the bass strings the bass tuning pins have to move to
the left so the strike points are in the right place, enlarging the
spine side of the piano, which is balanced by widening the tail,
effectively widening the soundboard area in absolute (not just
proportional) terms. Of course this could just as easily be done with
a straight-strung design too if desired, as Julius Bluethner noticed.

(2) A cross-strung piano scale better balances the string forces on
the frame, allowing the easier use of "larger" (i.e. thicker)
strings.  James Horsfall's remarkable high tensile strength steel
wire was first seen in public around 1850. The patent was awarded in
1853 [the metallurgical process is still called patenting]. Intensive
marketing, including to the US, of this wire began in 1854, after the
merger of Webster's and Horsfall. So tensile strength suddenly nearly
doubles overnight in 1854. How to take advantage of this on a piano
scale without going into implosion? In steps Henry Steinway first at
the tape with his 1859 patent solution. Voila.

And (3) [the icing on the cake]:  a single cast iron frame improved
efficiency and production costs significantly.

Win-win situation. It's all in the timing. And that was perfect for
HS to make a Gates-worthy fortune.

While we're on "real reasons", the piano history books get this stuff
all wrong. Was the iron frame really so innovative because it allowed
higher tension scales to be used as is so often repeated? In other
words the modern piano exists because some genius came along and
stuck some iron in a piano so they could slap some thicker wire in
the scale and get higher tensions? Duh. Look at it the right way and
it makes much more sense. Innovative new wire comes along. Within
five years we have Henry Steinway's cross-strung solution, with one
piece cast iron frame tacked in for added commercial bonus. Without
Henry Steinway some other solution would have come along and we would
still have a modern piano. Without James Horsfall we could not have
the modern piano, cross-stringing or not. That guy was the real
genius.

>Part two of the problem is marketing.  It's one thing
>to market an unusual instrument design to the spinet
>buyers, and another to sell such a thing for $200000.
>  .... a brave soul should decide to build the best piano
>regardless of what is traditional, with some top notch
>marketing mystique, they could pull off a low
>volume/high price boutique strategy.

How about $20,000? Would that make a difference?

Stephen

--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Piano Design Lab