butt springs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:39:08 -0400

Alan, that was cruel and uncalled for. Whitney, like all piano =
manufacturers space the butt springs one per butt! (It's the butts that =
are randomly spaced!)   ;-)

That's all you get Rick until you give us more information! R U =
replacing the spring rail for some reason? Or just the springs. Perhaps =
this is the first time you have replaced this type of spring? If so, you =
may just not be aware that the springs are set into little holes in the =
spring rail - so no spacing efforts are needed - just remove old springs =
and replace with new ones in original holes. (You need to soak the felt =
to soften and remove the hide glue...... oh no - was a Whitney glued up =
with hide glue or will it be some ookey white crud.....?????)

No doubt there is tons of info in the archives describing this job. I =
know there is good stuff in the PTG reprint articles - that's what I =
used the first time I did that job.

Terry Farrell

  Whitney spinet, eh? Just use the same random spacing the factory =
used.... oh, wait, that was cruel.

  More seriously: Are these on a damper rebound rail in the usual =
configuration? Is the rail still usable?

  Actually, I guess I don't really understand your question ... a little =
more detail, please ...

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

     Is there a standard distance for spacing hammer butt springs? I'm =
thinking of doing a gang replacement on a Whitney spinet .

    Thanks,
    Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano