Moving from Uprights to Grands

Byeway222@aol.com Byeway222@aol.com
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:06:41 EDT

Hi, Susan and Michael et al,
The whole business of strip muting for either the temperament octave or  even
into the further reaches of the piano has alway been controversial here in
UK.  Probably like Michael I was trained very traditionally, to  discard the
strip mute quite early on and rely on one's ear for laying the  temperament with
just two wedges.  It has always been looked down upon in  the profession here
if a tuner still has to use a temperament strip, almost  suggesting that
his/her ear is not reliable enough to do without it.  The  analogy being a baby's
walking frame I suppose!   Because  of  this early influence I can actually
feel 'ashamed' if I resort to using  a  strip or rubber gang mute on a difficult
piano. Do i need  psychoanalysis?  However, I could actually argue pretty
stongly in  favour of using them with very small grands and uprights where
inharmonicity is  so pronounced that setting an acceptable temperament can take more
than one  pass, and using this aid would be quicker.  When this topic comes
under  discussion over here it is generally argued that the temperament is not
exactly  the same when you return to complete the unisons and that the whole
excercise  can be more time consuming.
It would be interesting to know what proportion of tuners is 'mute  free'
Ric