Wegman Tuning Pin System

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:08:14 +0100

Hello Jack and List
As a left handed tuner I found tuning one of these pianos, with a not =
"oblong" but more round ended triangle tuning pin hole in the plate, a =
joy. I was very surprised - so much so (I had never come across this =
idea before) that I remember it to this day.... and it was about 20 =
years ago... maybe more. In originality it was akin to that bicycle =
brake adjust tuning system recently discussed here. The other oddity is =
Broadwood's oblong cross-section pin with a metric thread which =
literally screws into the web plate (c.1875). When they get loose though =
- and they do - the only recourse is to withdraw them completely, push a =
tube of fine grit sand paper through into the plank (grit out) and =
re-insert the pin. Trouble is getting the pin in the right distance - as =
you can imagine! Maybe there's a way of applying CA to those now-a-days! =
:-)
Michael G.(UK)
----- Original Message ----- =20
  From: JWyatt1492@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 4:05 PM
  Subject: Re: Wegman Tuning Pin System

  Hello John,

    =20
    The descriptions you have gotten are fairly accurate.

     The pin hole in the plate is vertically oblong.
  Wegman used the principle of friction between
  medals of difference hardness will hold very well.
    Conover used the same principle in his "Sleeve
  Inserts."

     I have tuned Wegmans twenty or more times.
   About half of these were the same piano. I found=20
  them  not only to be a joy to tune but also very=20
  reliable and consistent.=20
   =20
      Please take note that I was trained to tune vertical
  pianos with my left hand on the hammer.  Therefore the
  hammer was tilted at about 10:00 or 11:00 o'clock or to=20
  the left.

     I think what killed this system was right handed tuners
  who insisted on tuning this piano with hammer at about=20
  2:00.  With the hammer tilted to the right pulling DOWN=20
  on the pin therefore increasing the friction. The combination=20
  of the hammer and the string both pulling DOWN on the=20
  pin made it difficult to be tuned very well.  =20
    =20
   Regards,
  Jack Wyatt