Strip mutes..or lack of them

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:03:08 -0700 (PDT)

Date:Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:55:30 -0400From:"Phil Bondi" <phil@philbondi.com>To:"Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>Subject:Re: Strip mutes..or lack of them

Plain Text Attachment [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

david@davidandersenpianos.com wrote:>No, it never is, due to the "Virgil Smith Phenomenon," the fact that there>are micro-incremental pitch shifts when you move one string of a unison,>then move others later.  Unless and until you perceive these distortions,>and can compensate for them, you will never accomplish a truly master>tuning, suitable for performance or recording.>  >I sat in the same class as David did on Sunday Morning of the Convention week. What I took home from that class has improved my tunings..no doubt. I haven't thrown the temp. strip away yet, but I only use it now for my temperament section.One thing needs to be said about Virgil: we all know that he has ears..but his technique floored me. Granted, he was working on a decent grand that was pretty close to begin with, but the man has chops beyond his ears.-Phil Bondi(Fl)

Hi, Phil and Dave!

And consider that Virgil is 89...and that he is taking piano lessons again...and is

practicing daily...and gave a recital a few months ago...remarkable.  Absolutely

remarkable!!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40@sbcglobal.net