coat-hanger wire

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:13:47 +0100

  From: richard.ucci@att.net=20
  To: fishwar@bellsouth.net ; Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:16 AM
  Subject: Re: butt springs

  Warren, Thanks for the great advice.

  Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

    -------------- Original message from "Warren Fisher" =
<fishwar@bellsouth.net>: --------------=20

    Richard,
    Take the action out!  Half way work will always come back to bite =
you on the posterior! Remember to control the sticker wires by removing =
the keys first and at minimum put newspaper between the wires and the =
rear of the keybed. A better alternative is a thin rope tied to the =
action brackets and looped in front of the stickers and tightened while =
pressing against the wires.  A pair of long forcepts helps to route the =
rope around the brackets 2-3 times so they will stay tight while you go =
on to the next section. Put each loop over the last to hold it tight. =
Use a slip-knot on the last one to save you time removing.

    Remove the spring rail by loosening the screws and lifting it  =
between the hammers and the dampers.  Save and number any spacers =
between the brackets and the rail. Put wallpaper solution on the felt =
and use a small scraper to remove any remaining glue.

    There are two methods of spring attachment that I know of:
    1. The springs are jammed down into thin grooves on the back of the =
rail under the felt.  Use the flat edge of the point of a pocket knife =
to pry them out.  Use a small thin-bladed screwdriver to press new ones =
into the groove.
    2. The spring is inserted into one hole and then back into another =
about a quarter inch away making a U in the wire.  This is the easiest =
system to redo because you can use a needle nose to pull the loop up =
snug in the mortice.
    Regardless of the type, you need use a two inch piece of coat-hanger =
wire threaded through the loops to keep the springs from turning on you =
to make a haphazard job.
    Before you re-insert the rail compare the angle of the spring to the =
ones you took out and bend them uniformly to have the same spring =
tension throughout. When you put the rail in have the springs pointing =
up so they don't snag  and then twist the rail so that they point =
between the hammers, then re-attach the rail.
    Good Luck,
    Warren

    Warren Fisher- Navy Retired - Slidell, Louisiana=20
      ----- Original Message -----=20