butt springs

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:04:41 -0500

Rick,
Pulling the rail, cutting of the felt and putting in new springs
should work fine.  I had some springs broken on one I was working on
and didn't have time to replace all, so I put on the repair
string.  On a test blow I had clicking. >:-o  All the springs were
brittle.  A bunch were off of the hammer butts and would break when I
attempted to put them back in place.  Loose tuning pins etc.
This was a well to do family and I suggested that getting this piano
back to working order might exceed its market value.  They got the point.
Andrew