Steinway D 1923....

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:48:47 -0700

Just looked at the picture. That definately someone's idea of a =
"jury-rig"!!! Yikes! That is definately not what is suppose to be there, =
on a 9 footer!!!! As far as I know, Steinway has always had Wedges to =
hold the legs on. Or, on some models, a "Cam" that pivoted on a very =
large screw. (I suspect that's what this one "had". <G> These, wedges =
were/are driven in between the leg surface and a large block of wood =
fastened to the underside of the keybed.  Or, the "cam" was hammered =
into place, once the leg was installed. That looks downright =
dangerous!!!
If it were me, I'd have the piano put back on a skid board and I'd put =
it back the way it was intended.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police