Stretching the Treble

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:49:08 -0500

Jon:

I have two stored tunings for Steinway Ds.  One for the recital hall,
the other for a teaching studio.  The recital hall tuning has C8 at
43.92 cents, (the tuning set up for 4:2 octaves in the treble and 8:4 in
the bass). The studio tuning has C8 at 37.18 cents (set up for perfect
12ths in treble and bass).  Actually, most of the time I tune wrapped
strings aurally rather than trying to set to a particular partial.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Jon Page
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:55 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Stretching the Treble

I've been tuning pianners for 30+ years and the last 3 with the
assistance of the Verituner 100.
I have tweaked the style setting to stretch the octaves in a manner
which emulates my
aural tuning style.

I have noticed that C8 is usually stretched to about +36c (less than
what I was setting aurally,
which was too high - broken strings).

Where do others end up?  I followed another tuner on a rental D
recently and C8 was +60c,
way too sharp for my taste.
--

Regards,